THIS IS AN OLD, NOT FINISHED BLOG POST. I PROBABLY WONT FINISH IT.
It's been a month! Actually quite a bit more. And that means the Colors survey is done, so let's take a look at what the about 100 responses are. Short is: People want more colors.
How do you utilize the VM colors in qubes?
- To 'theme' different isolation domains: 55
- To indicate different threat levels: 43
- I haven't given it any thought: 1
- I haven't decided, yet: 1
- Other: 7
Do you feel you have too few or too many color choices, for how you use the qube colors?
Unsurprisingly, 0 people think that there are too many. Otherwise the majority of people clearly feel a lack of options, with the current colors coming in at barely half of “Too few”, hopefully that means there is no rush on getting new colors.
- Too few: 62
- Too many: 0
- Neither—but different palettes for the 7 color options would be nice to pick from: 16
- I feel it is fine as it is: 28
- Other: 1
Here are two I couldn't just pass over:
How do you use the gray label? “Grey was broken and displayed as green for a long time, so I've never used it. It's working now though.”
How do you use the gray label? “Fucking change it to cyan because gray is a stupid color”
Now into some statistics on Qubes users.
How long have you been using Qubes OS?
- Less than 6 months: 16
- Between 6 months and 2 years: 26
- Between 2 and 4 years: 45
- More than 4 years: 20
Which of the following traits describe you?
(This is a multi choice)
- Academic: 26
- Activist: 19
- Business Owner: 18
- Employer: 3
- Executive: 7
- FOSS/Libre project contributor: 28
- Information or IT security professional: 37
- IT generalist professional: 29
- Journalist: 2
- Non-Profit/NGO worker: 4
- Private sector (non-government) worker: 18
- Software or web developer: 41
- Student: 15
- SQ014: 1 (This... Is my fault, I somehow added a blank answer option. But once you think about it, someone chose blank/nothing when asked which trait described them)
- One does not wish to disclose it.
- One is just “Other” (This question isn't mandatory, why??).
- One is (translated) “Security amateur”
- One is “security/privacy enthusiast”